How to get rid of viruses
What is a computer virus?
A computer virus is a self-replicating program containing code that explicitly copies itself and can "infect" and damage other programs by modifying them or their environment such that a call to an infected program implies a call to a (possibly evolved) copy of the virus.
Signs of a virus infection - How to get rid of viruses
- You get a virus warning from antivirus programs you have installed.
- Your computer or internet connection has slowed down.
- Your computer starts behaving strangely or crashes frequently.
- You double-clicked on an email attachment and odd things started happening.
- An antivirus program is disabled for no reason and it cannot be restarted.
Types of Viruses
- Resident Viruses: This is a type of virus that hides in your computer’s RAM memory, controlling and intercepting operations carried out by the system.
- Macro Viruses: Certain programs like Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint have the ability to use small ‘helper’ programs to extend their functionality and automate repetitive tasks.
- File Infectors: This type of virus infects programs and/or executable files. Each time one of these programs runs, the virus is activated; the majority of existing viruses belongs to this category, and are classified depending on the actions that they carry out. Think of these viruses as stowaways on your computer’s files.
- Boot Viruses: This type of virus infects the boot sector of your disk drives. The boot sector is a part of the disk that stores basic system information and is used to start your computer. These viruses are then loaded on boot-up.
Removal - How to get rid of viruses
- If your system is still running slowly even though you’ve scanned and cleaned your computer of viruses, then you may want to consider changing antivirus programs.
- If you think your computer has a virus, and you don’t have anti virus software then you should run a free online scan (select one from the sidebar to the left). Chances are, one of these free online scanners will find whatever is ailing your PC and either clean it up for you or provide you with instructions on how to get rid of that computer virus. Once the threat is taken care of, it would be wise to install an antivirus program to prevent further infections.
Tips - How to get rid of viruses
- Installed antivirus software to your computer. Like
* AVG (Free!)
* Avast Antivirus (Free!)
* Norton Antivirus (Retail)
* McAfee Antivirus (Retail)
- If you find Virus in your computer, than immediately stop your work and run antivirus to your computer.
- Update your Antivirus Definition weekly.